Thursday 21 January 2021

My Story 17: Fasting - Sunstroke - Addictions

Sheila taught me the benefits of fasting. She would fast on Mondays with water only for 24 hours. Lambo is about to lean the difference between a cycle and a bicycle. Please be patient.

Despite its recent surge in popularity, fasting is a practice that dates back centuries and plays a central role in many cultures and religions. Defined as the abstinence from all or some foods or drinks for a set period of time, there are many different ways of fasting.

Intermittent fasting, on the other hand, involves cycling between periods of eating and fasting, ranging from a few hours to a few days at a time. Fasting has been shown to have many health benefits, from increased weight loss to better brain function. [Here are eight good reasons]

1. Promotes Blood Sugar Control by Reducing Insulin Resistance

2. Promotes Better Health by Fighting Inflammation

3. Enhance Heart Health by Improving Blood Pressure, Triglycerides and Cholesterol Levels

4. Boost Brain Function and Prevent Neurodegenerative Disorders

5. Aids Weight Loss by Limiting Calorie Intake and Boosting Metabolism

6. Increases Growth Hormone Secretion, Which Is Vital for Growth, Metabolism, Weight Loss and Muscle Strength

7. Delay Aging and Extend Longevity

8. Aid in Cancer Prevention and Increase the Effectiveness of Chemotherapy

[Healthline.com]

Lambo never learns! After a 20 mile cycle, on the spinning machine, and four lengths of the cold pool yesterday, he decided to imitate a sun dried tomato, it was warm (22c) and he turned every 20 minutes or so for three hours. He just doesn’t do sunbathing, he has no concept of time or more to the point he had no concept of the amount of water needed to avoid dehydration. By 1500h he was shivering, jumpers on and back to his room. He climbs into bed, fully clothed but the headache and the shivers continue. He does my head in, how the fuck can I write 2,000 words a-day when he behaves so stupidly. I run a bath, the plug leaks but a plastic bag – I now have nowhere to store my tomatoes – suitably placed does the trick and drag him, shivering, from the bed remove his clothes and immerse him. Two hours later, two pints of warm water consumed, his fingers all shriveled like a prune, I dry him and put him back to bed. He is now sweating profusely and soaking his pillow, I place a towel around his neck turn on some music, All Blessed – Faithless’s  new album, and ask him to listen to the words, ‘Just take your time, just take your time’ is hopefully getting through. I then give him the bad news, “Lambo, as you have managed to give yourself a bit of sunstroke and had no food since 0830 this morning, I think we should have a day of fasting, water only for 24 hours. So, no supper and two more pints of boiled water before sleeping”. Poor lad was too knackered to object. He slept for ten hours and seven minutes including 3 hours 26 minutes of deep sleep.

Upon awakening he first had a wee; Umm, still a lot dehydrated from the colour and volume, he puts the kettle on and then screams, “yes, yes I did it”. “did what” I ask. “I cycled -for one hour- between periods of eating and fasting”. Bless. I took him to breakfast, and we enjoyed our third full English (not sure the bacon qualifies) in over four weeks. I needed a cup of hot water, but the que for drugs (same place as water) was daft long and I gave up.

Fasting is part of my diet and will often have a banana, hot water, NO CAFEINE, and a spoon of wheatgrass for breakfast then nothing till supper around six pm. It took me a few weeks to stop the caffeine – must be good judging by the que - hit at breakfast and I do find myself less wired late morning. Caffeine is of course a drug, Ok a legal one, but still a highly addictive one. I leaned to avoid caffeine in my thirties …

Kerry, my first wife, and I went to a wedding in York. We arrived Friday evening after a long day on the A1 (Highbury Corner) M1, M18, A1 (again) and A64, with numerous caffeine fixes.  Saturday was champagne and orange juice for breakfast. We partied all day and I even hit the dance floor with my mum, as you do.  I was a light drinker in my 30’s and so went to bed sane and sober. It never crossed my mind that I had consumed no caffeine for over 24 hours.  By 2 am Sunday morning I was convinced I was having a brain hemorrhage. The pain was unbelievable; I really have never known anything quite like it. We hunted everywhere, even to the car, to find some paracetamol. It was bloody caffeine withdrawal. Please do not try this at home, its serious cold turkey.

Meanwhile, I sit at my laptop caffeine free and sober knowing I have a story that needs writing.  Lambo is aware his nicotine juice – I think he would feel bereft if he didn’t have any addictions – is running low and it’s a four-mile cycle to Spa in Gran Tarejal. I have told him to ration it and, if he lets me write another 2,000 words before tomorrow afternoon, we will go into town for the evening and meet Helga again.

He nods, sticks his headphones on and …


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad - My Diet - Your Diet - Protein & the Elderly

  The Elderly   – Muscle Loss – Protein Deficiency. I have a choice;   Continue as before or, put down the drink, start to think, get back t...