My Dad - My Diet - Your Diet - Protein & the Elderly

 

The Elderly  – Muscle Loss – Protein Deficiency.

I have a choice;  

Continue as before or, put down the drink, start to think, get back to writing but most of all get my mind body and spirit back on the pitch. I am due hip replacement surgery in two weeks, I am 5kg overweight, totally unfit and I have flabby skin where muscles used to bulge. 

My 'rate determining step', as a dear friend [MG] just reminded me, was 'put down the drink', say goodbye to Stella once again and get back in the gym.

My alter ego, Lambo, also thnks he can avoid hip surgery, by getting fit, sober and removing the offending 'Bursar' rether than replace his best hip. He is seeing a sports hip surgeon next week.

However lets start with Protein. 

My dad is 94, I am 70, and we are both losing strength, mobility and balance through a lack of protein. More protein means more strength to your muscles which in turn means more mobility and balance.

The web says, ‘And over time, a lack of protein can make you lose muscle mass, which in turn cuts your strength, makes it harder to keep your balance, and slows your metabolism. It can also lead to anemia, when your cells don't get enough oxygen, which makes you tired’.

Are you loosing muscle strength through a lack of Protein?

How much Protein do we need each day?

“Experts in the field of protein and aging recommend a protein intake between 1.2 and 2.0 g/kg/day or higher for elderly adults [3,8,15]. The RDA of 0.8 g/kg/day is well below these recommendations and reflects a value at the lowest end of the AMDR. It is estimated that 38% of adult men and 41% of adult women have dietary protein intakes below the RDA”

[Source]

Above says, 2.0 g/kg/day or higher for elderly adults Both mine and dad’s ideal weight is 85kg which gives us a target intake of 170gm of protein.  Our current diet puts me blow 80gms per day [gpd] and dad below 60 gpd.

Dad and I should be consuming 170 gms of protein per day. That’s a lot of fish, without any chips, no batter, bread or butter.

I searched for foods highest in protein,,, ‘lean meats like chicken and turkey, fish, eggs, dairy products like Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, legumes such as lentils and chickpeas, and plant-based options like tofu and quinoa’ was the answer.

I searched for’ how to consume large amounts of protein’ and found:

Chicken breast (skinless, cooked): 32 g

Turkey breast (skinless, roasted): 30 g

Beef roast (roasted): 28 g

Pork roast (roasted): 27 g

Ground beef (fat content not specified, cooked): 26 g

Salmon (baked or broiled): 25 g

Halibut (cooked, dry heat): 23 g

Tilapia (cooked, dry heat): 26 g

Cod (cooked): 20 g

Pollock (cooked): 19 g

Canned tuna (light, in water): 19 g

Shrimp (baked or broiled): 17 g

Whole wheat flour (unenriched): 15 g

Eggs (no oil or fat added): 12 g

Cottage cheese (low fat, low sodium): 12 g

Edamame (cooked): 12 g

Greek yogurt (whole milk, plain, about one-third cup): 9 g

Lentils (dried): 9 g

Chickpeas (canned, no fat): 8 g

Tofu (soybean curd): 7 g

Avocado (my late wife Sheila lived on them) 3g

And if all else fails:

Protein bars, shakes and powders at 25-50gm a shot.

Nuts and seeds very high but also high in fats.

And the point I am making is;

 

Could you be losing strength, mobility and balance through a lack of protein?

 

Have a good week.

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rugby Injuries and Cannabis. Harlequins - Holland & Barrett - England - Canada

My Story 9. Normanton High School - Shock - Sex - Drugs - Fame - Girls galore

Lambo arrested update. Do I stay or do I go.