Friday 22 January 2021

My story 18. Cannabis for Dummies, Wives, Vets & Golden Retrievers

Leafy.com

Jack Herer (1939-2010), sometimes called the "Emperor of Hemp", was an American cannabis rights activist and the author of The Emperor Wears No Clothes (1985), the  book—now in its fourteenth edition -  has been continuously in print for 35 years—frequently cited in efforts to decriminalise and legalise cannabis and to expand the use of hep for industrial use. Herer also founded and served as the director of the organisation Help End Marijuana Prohibition (HEMP) [Wikipedia]

April 1983; I am about to sit my final law exam [Surveyors & Lawyers sit almost the same exams in the early years] and have 104 cases to memorize for tomorrow; Snails in ginger beer (Donoghue v Stephenson 1932) lease or license (Street V Mountford 1985) and the rest. Home is 302 Liverpool Road, Islington. I am working as a trainee surveyor with Donaldsons, 70 Jermyn Street W1. My children; Christopher four months old and Emily now two. My daily routine involves four tube journeys -Highbury & Islington to Kings X then Piccadilly line to Green Park and back. Home by six pm, supper children bathed and bed. I climb the stairs to the attic and now my study with a packet of Silk Cut, the latest Men Only purchased from some top shelf and a joint. On the bed, next to my desk, sits an A4 folder divided into six sections each with eighteen or so cases to learn. A joint, I self-pleasure to relax and get the endorphins flowing followed by a fag. Fifteen minutes later I start revising. I join Kerry in bed around one am. The following morning Kerry tests me. We were both gobsmacked when I get 104 out of 104 right. I have used cannabis to study ever since and have never failed an exam!

Sheila, on the other hand, will not mind me sharing her story as her friends have already had a giggle. September 2016, we had been dating for nine months and I had just prepared a batch of cannabis oil. Over lunch she decides to try it but having a Spanish class in Yeovil, four hours later, I tell her to be very careful and only take a rice grain. These were Sheila’s words; ‘half-way into my Spanish class I suddenly felt hot and dizzy. I decided to leave for a while so informed the teacher who nodded approval. As I tried to stand the room started to move, I held onto my chair and asked the teacher to open the door so I could leave. He complied and I made it into the hallway to recover. Five minutes later I returned to the class but five another five minutes saw me trying to leave again. I needed fresh air and water as my mouth was very dry [classic symptoms]. I made it outside and decided to drive home. Oh dear, I really did feel very odd and now way could I drive.  It then dawned on me that I had ignored Colin’s instructions and had eaten half a teaspoon full of the Oil. I call Colin but as I had his car there was nothing he could do other than giggle and roll about in laughter. I called a cab and finally made it home. I won’t make that mistake again’.  She did make the mistake again but that’s for later.

Dogs have even less sense than humans.

Friday 2nd August 2013, Sherborne Dorset.

My daughter Emily, wife Anna and grandchildren Jack & Freya arrive for the weekend along with Rigby - Emily names her pets after songs, Eleanor Rigby - their golden retriever. Lambo and Rigby are rolling about in the garden knowing its going to be a difficult, family shit stuff, weekend.  Colin is instructed to empty part of the freezer to store the newly arrive goodies including his favourite ice cream, salted caramel. Out comes the inflatable shoulder ice pack, the ice blocks for knee, Achilles and a bag of something smelly which Colin puts’ on the compost heap.

Hemp, or industrial hemp, is a variety of the Cannabis sativa plant species that is grown specifically for industrial use. It can be used to make a wide range of products. Along with bamboo, hemp is one of the fastest growing plants on Earth. It was also one of the first plants to be spun into usable fibre 50,000 years ago.  It can be refined into a variety of commercial items, including paper, rope, textiles, clothing, biodegradable plastics, paint, insulation, biofuel, food, and animal feed… … Hemp has lower concentrations of THC and may have higher concentrations of cannabidiol (CBD), which decreases or eliminates its psychoactive effects.  Cannabis is a plant population having separate male and female plants, it forms part of the Dioecious family,… … they are either Gynoecious (female plants) or Androecious (male plants)…. … Androecious, plants produce  pollen but no seeds,  Gynoecious, plants producing female flowers only, produces seeds but no pollen, the female of a dioecious population. [Wikipedia]

Hemp is predominantly the male cannabis plant, it produces pollen but no seeds. Many industrial farmers go to great lengths to remove any females as they bugger-up the crop. It is illegal-(as things stand)-to grow hemp in the UK.  Female cannabis plants are (for simplicity sake) of either Indica or Sativa strain. For Indica think India; temples, meditation and chill. Take indica in the morning and your day is wasted. For Sativa think South America; festivals dancing and party time. Take sativa at night and (unless you're clubbing – or studying) your sleep is ruined. All female plants; again simplified; contain THC and CBD in varying quantities. THC is also called tetrahydrocannabinol, is the compound in cannabis that is psychoactive and gives you the feeling of being high. CBD, short for cannabidiol, is fantastic for pain relief and providing a general feeling of wellness without the feeling of being high. It is used by England rugby players and helped Holland & Barrett make record profits. Cannabis requires twelve hours of darkness (GM products excluded) to induce the female plant to flower. Once the buds appear, they produce a sticky, smelly, resin whose soul purpose is to attract pollen from the male plant. As any grower will know, one rouge male plant can destroy an entire crop (it goes to seed) so great care is needed. Nowadays it is possible to buy female only seeds which solves this problem. The longer the female is starved of pollen the bigger the buds will grow. The bigger the buds, the bigger the yield. The plant is then harvested and dried. Indica cannabis can be up to 30% THC, which is very different to Sativa which rarely exceeds 18%. Alcohol is measured (ABV) on a scale that ranges between 0% (Alcohol free) to say 40% for spirits. Cannabis is measured on a scale of percentage of THC. This ranges between say 5% (some CBD products contain this small amount) and 30% for medicinal grade-Indica - to get totally stoned, for hours, depending upon the amount. Jack Herer is 17% which is perfect for creative writing or learning Spanish unless you overdose!

There have been no recorded deaths, worldwide, from the exclusive use of cannabis of any strength. Alcohol is associated with 2.8 million deaths each year worldwide. [The Lancet].

All drug dealers will sell you the strongest products available as they contain the most profit. Same happened with Alcohol prohibition; no one made shandy or weak beer, spirits were the norm. Skunk is just another name for 25% plus cannabis, in strength, which is almost exclusively Indica and leaves you wasted.  Most dealers, of cannabis, in the UK havent got the first clue what is in their product other than its strong. A group of cross-party MPs (BBC News July 2019) who've been on a fact-finding trip to Canada, predict the UK will fully legalise cannabis use within five to ten years. The UK is the worlds biggest producer of cannabis oil. Ninety-five tonnes of marijuana was produced in the UK in 2016 for medicinal and scientific use, accounting for 44.9 per cent of the world total. The UK is also the largest exporter of the drug, with 2.1 tonnes exported in 2016 roughly 70%of the worlds total, the report stated. [The Independent March 2018] The only frustrating bit is I held shares in G.W. Pharma, the producer, but sold them at a quarter of the profit I could have made - to fund my divorce.

Cannabis Oil has now become the safe (cannabis was traditionally mixed with tobacco) and trusted method to consume cannabis. How do you make cannabis oil from a bag of buds?

1.       Wash the buds in warm water and leave to dry.

2.       Place in the oven at 100c for one hour.

3.       Grind into a dust and place in a jar

4.       Cover in pharmaceutical grade (99,9%) ethanol. Shake and leave for two hours. It’s the same stuff we now spray on our hands, watered down.

5.       Poor the ethanol into a non-stick pan after draining through a, squeezed tight, cheesecloth.

6.       Discard the residue well away from golden retrievers.

7.       Heat the ethanol, which vaporises at 80c-but explodes if hotter or a spark is nearby-until just the oil remains. BUT wear a mask, similar to Walter White [aka Mr Lambert in one episode of Breaking Bad] as the fumes are pure alcohol - half teaspoon will kill you - as many of you know from spraying on your hands for nine months.

8.       Enjoy the oil.

Where was I? Oh yes, my children came for the weekend. Friday evening went well.

Saturday starts with a commotion, chaos and panic even; Rigby, the golden retriever, is lying conscious, but paralysed on the kitchen floor. Kerry and Emily are trying to find a vet open on a Saturday. Lambo lays next to Rigby, gives him a cuddle and their eyes meet. Lambo is now in hysterics as he knows exactly where Rigby;-he is a retriever after all;-has been and what is wrong. A short trip to the compost heap confirms his suspicions but No-one believes Lambo. Colin confirms Rigby is indeed stoned and judging by the smile on his face just needs a warm corner to chill for the day. Oh dear

Rigby is rushed to the local vets in Sherborne. Colin explains everything to the vet who responds, I have seen many dogs fed cannabis and this is not one. I try and explain that he has consumed, possibly a months supply in one go. My daughter, my wife and daughter-in-law tell me I am being ridiculous, and the dog is really sick. Three hours later we are all in Taunton (again the vet dismissed me) as poor old Rigby, he doesnt seem to care, is sent to sleep, his stomach cut open and an amount of unknown vegetable matter, the vets words, were removed from his belly at a cost of £2,500, most of which I paid for. My marriage to Kerry, and my relationship with Emily my daughter, was about to implode.

Maybe, in retrospect, I should be thanking Rigby for helping bring forward the end of my marriage.

Om Rigby”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad - My Diet - Your Diet - Protein & the Elderly

  The Elderly   – Muscle Loss – Protein Deficiency. I have a choice;   Continue as before or, put down the drink, start to think, get back t...