My story 12. Jean Piaget - Mentors - Oxford University - Alan Jubb - Loop-de-loop

 


Mentorship is a relationship in which a more experienced or more knowledgeable person helps to guide a less experienced or less knowledgeable person. The mentor may be older or younger than the person being mentored, but they must have a certain area of expertise. It is a learning and development partnership between someone with vast experience and someone who wants to learn. Interaction with an expert may also be necessary to gain proficiency with cultural tools. Mentorship experience and relationship structure affect the "amount of psychosocial support, career guidance, role modeling and communication that occurs in the mentoring relationships in which the protégés and mentors engaged". [Wikipedia]

From the moment we arrive on this planet, a mentor is needed. Our parents’ mentor us throughout our early years but ...

Jean Piaget's theory of cognitive development suggests that intelligence changes as children grow. A child's cognitive development is not just about acquiring knowledge, the child has to develop or construct a mental model of the world. Cognitive development occurs through the interaction of innate capacities and environmental events, and children pass through a series of stages. Piaget's stages are:

Sensorimotor stage: birth to 18-24 months. Colin remembers nothing.

Preoperational stage: 2 to 7 years. Colin remembers; his first day at school, playing in the churchyard, fun games - hide and seek , policeman after throwing stones at an up-and-over-door, seeing a man beaten and crying on my way to Odsal stadium to watch my dad play rugby, laying in an Ants nest and screaming, moving to 17 Alexander Road.

Concrete operational stage: 7 to 11 years. 17 Alexander Road, my story tells it all.

Formal operational stage: ages 12 and up. For some unexplained reason, Colin is stuck at this early juncture, he keeps avoiding writing about his love life at Normanton Grammar School and I know why.

Colin is fifteen years old, sixteen in four-weeks’ and …

A mentor, a wise or trusted adviser or guide. The first name that springs to mind is Jimmy Williams, physiotherapist at Featherstone Rover, then, Kenny Everson also at Rovers, they both provided valuable advice, however the one that would shape my life from age 15 to 18, with almost irreversible effect was Alan Jubb. Alan came from middle class parents, attended Wakefield Grammar school; first team fly- half [no 10] and Yorkshire schoolboys. Carnegie College Leeds, the elite sports college of its day, followed. Certificate in education, college first team rugby and  a qualified teacher. Falls in love, married, home in Crofton, Near Wakefield.  Sandall rugby club, first team again, but Normanton Grammar awaits. A little-known fact, in addition to his love of golf, was his passion for Rugby League; a Wakefield Trinity fan and, during his formative years, the best team in the land. They played a wide expansive game, yet always kept the ball in play. By keeping the ball in play, the opposition tired and gaps opened.

After my England under 15, rugby and athletics exploits, the following season was a bit flat in comparison. Until, Normanton Grammar school entered a team in the prestigious, if you attend an elite private or posh grammar, sports school, Oxford under 16, seven-aside tournament, the final at Iffley Road sports grounds, where Roger Banister made history … 

Sevens ( seven-aside rugby) was a new game to me, Alan Jubb, a new coach, as the junior teams had other masters, he seemed very stern and focused. We practiced with the first team who, captained by a lad from Featherstone - Steve Trigg- had just won the coveted National Schoolboy 7's at under 19 level, at Roehampton, London, home of Roslyn Park RFC (and home of my first date with Kerry, bonfire night, six years later but also for later). We spent hours, passing the ball to the right, running backwards after passing the ball, then passing the ball to the left. We did loop-de-loops, pass, run to the end of the line, catch-pass-run-again, ad infinitum. Being captain, I thought it wise to enquire as to sirs, ‘Jubby’ as everyone else called him, motives in this ‘keep ball moving and keep possession boredom’ exercise we keep performing. He replied, “Neil Fox and Wakefield Trinity won everything using it, so let’s give it a go”. I thought about what he was saying, Wakefield Trinity also had an incredibly wide pitch, unlike my home team, Featherstone Rovers, who’s pitch was often likened to a postage stamp, very apt being in Post Office Road. After another totally exhausting session of loop-de-loop I summoned enough courage to say to Jubby, ‘Sir, are you saying you want us to play Rugby league, on the elite sports grounds of Oxford University whilst conforming to the rules of Rugby Union,  and, as there are only seven of us on the pitch, we can play a wide game. In other words, when we have the ball, we keep it at all costs, like having a one tackle rule in rugby league”. He looked at me, smiled and said, “we are staying in a youth hostel, in Oxford, the night before, so pack a toothbrush. They recon this is the National under 16 finals, the Welsh teams always win”.

One man went to mow, went to mow a meadow. Seven lads went to Oxford, went to …

Jesus College Oxford: 1st Round - Hampton G.S. 3-13 Normanton.
Lincoln College Oxford: 2nd Round - St Brendan College 5-18 Normanton
Lincoln again: Quarter final - Cavendish School 11-16 Normanton
And again: Semi-final - Ystalyfera G.S. 3-11 Normanton.

We boarded the coach and ...

BBC News 6th May 1954,  'Roger Bannister, a 25-year-old British medical student, has become the first man to run a mile in less than four minutes. His time was 3mins 59.4 seconds, achieved at the Iffley Road track in Oxford and watched by about 3,000 spectators.

There were many less than 3,000,  in the Iffley road stadium, the day of our final. As we were briefed on the historical significance of Oxford Universities athletics track, I wondered if seven lads, one substitute Dave Burniston, could also make our mark on the history of Iffley Road.

Llanelli Grammar school, the might of Welsh schools rugby, our opponents. Two years later their club team would beat the mighty All Blacks. A sevens team has three forwards; I am loose head prop, Kevin Rooney (RIP) hooker, and grafter, Larry Hanson, tight head prop stood nonsense from from no-one and four backs; Steve Midgely and Harry Poole our half back duo, Steve Carrington at centre and John (Dicky) Dyson on the wing. Dicky scores in the corner, I miss the conversion. Steve and Harry weave their magic and Kevin scores, I add the conversion. Half time, we lead 8-0. They score, and convert 8-5, I miss tackle, they score and convert, 8-10. The seconds are ticking, we win a scrum, ball along the line; Harry, to Steve to Dicky, who sprints wide to the touchline and stops - he jogs backwards, just a few steps - the ball is now with Steve, Larry loops around him, Harry loops Larry, Kevin loops and spots a gap, but stops -he jogs backwards, just a few steps - I have the ball, sprint wide to the touchline and stop - I jog backwards - Harry, Larry, Steve, Kevin, Steve, Dicky and Kevin …

Scores the winning try. 

The pure genius of Alan Jubb's teachings would soon have an impact, not only on schools rugby, but seven-aside rugby world-wide, all the way to having one of our own, Les Cusworth, coaching the England sevens team in the rugby world cup. Les watched our final, he was still U15, so his moment had yet to arrive.

Om


Ps . Lambo is not himself, I think the two previous blogs have distressed him. Perhaps, behind the Viking is a sensitive lad?  I note his 100 days of no alcohol is over, I note the last bottle of San Miguel, sat patiently in the larder, has gone, I am also concerned about his secretive (he has booted up Sheila's phone) internet activity. He is up to something …   

Notes:

https://www.simplypsychology.org/piaget.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentorship

Comments

  1. Wow that is a turn up I played 1st XV for what became Normanton Freeston High School under Jubby in the 80s. I was convinced he hated everything to do with RL. We had RL Junior Internationals in our team & he never acknowledged their achievements. Just shows what I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Slam
    Didn't know Kevin had died, Last Time I saw him he was working at Yorkshire Copper Works. Last Time I sa w you was in Quins Clubhouse after min team had narrowly lost to Quinns 2nds in 1979.
    I am not as big a lover of Alan Jubb as he failed to tell me or train me in the penultimate Yorkshire Trial when I was told that suddenly Hookers were throwing in. Never done it before in my life so never made the Yorkshire side I then in anger told Jubby to stick his first team and apart from an old boys match I didn't play Rugby for 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Slam
    Didn't know Kevin had died, Last Time I saw him he was working at Yorkshire Copper Works. Last Time I sa w you was in Quins Clubhouse after min team had narrowly lost to Quinns 2nds in 1979.
    I am not as big a lover of Alan Jubb as he failed to tell me or train me in the penultimate Yorkshire Trial when I was told that suddenly Hookers were throwing in. Never done it before in my life so never made the Yorkshire side I then in anger told Jubby to stick his first team and apart from an old boys match I didn't play Rugby for 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Buy Acacia Confusa Root Bark

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rugby Injuries and Cannabis. Harlequins - Holland & Barrett - England - Canada

My Story 9. Normanton High School - Shock - Sex - Drugs - Fame - Girls galore

Lambo arrested update. Do I stay or do I go.